Brendan McNulty, President, NY Minute, Long Island City
Full video coverage and follow up Q&A are available in the left column in 5 segments of approximately three to five minutes each.
Long Island City, New York December 30, 2011 -
Brendan McNulty sees the truth about the economy and says it is growing. His company, New York Minute, is both a courier / messenger service as well as a trucking / airfreight service and expediter.
New York Minute moved to Long Island City two years ago from Manhattan.
NY Minute is a full service nessenger and trucking company. It specialize in On Demand delivery in the Tristate area. It also offers ground and air delivery services across the U.S.
OurLIC met with Brendan McNulty, President of NY Minutes, on the last day of 2011 to reflect on the companies growth, its future, and the unexpected benefits of their relocation to Long Island City.
- From Branden's persepctive, because shipping volume is increasing, he feels that the economy is doing much better.
- 2011 has been a really good year. Business from existing customers, having greater need for NY Minute services, is up approximately 35%.
- This year was the first time is years that the company has seen a lot of corporate gift giving to clients. Brendan feels that this is a good sign.
- Pricing pressures are also reducing. In 2008 and 2009, NY Min was able to accommodate requests for pricing adjustments. Today, many of his customers are being gracious and returning their contracts to normalized rates, or willing to renegotiate contracts back into original positions.
- Retail businesses are shipping more and also trying to build their online ordering. They are taking advantage of NY Minutes new website that integrates with the retailer's sales and makes it possible to eliminate the need for the retailer to manage shipping.
- The company's new technology makes it possible to integrate online order processing through a retailer website with NY Minute's pick-up and delivery.
- The company has a complete GPS system to monitor package delivery for customers.
- Sixty percent of their commerce is done online now. Companies like printers, or the NYC Board of Education can go online and get full account information, or details of delivery by logon to NYMIN.com.
- NY Minute does things differently than the competition. It is an operations oriented company that looks for customers that fit its model. Dispatch teams are set up to provide more personalized service. This is one way that the company maintains its small company feel.
- Brendan offers advice to City and State for ways to make it more attractive for businesses here. He feels that the agencies of government seem to look at themselves as revenue generators, and that has hurt businesses as the economy weakend.
NY Minute moved to Long Island City in 2009. It has increased its workforce by 35% - 40%.
- "One thing about moving to Long Island City" McNulty says "finding people has been a lot easier. Many people do not want to truck into Manhattan. Just finding local independent contractors has been wonderful."
- The company has had great success with the people hired through ERDA's Workforce Development program. Brendan says that "They have been a fantastic resource...it has been a Godsent. I have turned some of my customers on to them. They have all had the same result."
- Recruiting talent has always been a challenge, but ERDA's program has made it much easier, and it is a huge advantage to being in Long Island City. "Tremendous work ethic...I don't how they do it. They should bottle it whatever it is." We used to have to interview fifty people for two positions. Now, from ERDA, everyone of the people that comes through the door looks good." he says.
- NY Minute now has a workforce of 150 - 160 people. Approximately 70% live in Queens and Brooklyn. Being here in Long Island City gives the company more of a neighborhood feel. "It is nice having employees and contractors that live right around the corner....It is a great place to have a business."
- Brendan sees growth from emerging companies in Queens. It especially sees growth in customized programs. He sites a food company in the region that has become a key area of growth because NY Minute can help develop the supply chain and distribution chain. They are even delivering a lot of bread an bagels for clients every day.
- Started the business in 1999 on in the West Village on Washington Street. It was a traditional messengering service. They were able to get a foothold in Wall Street. In 2004 it moved to 28th Street. The business later shifted from bicycles to vehicles. In 2009, the company moved to LIC and was able to locate here and establish offices along with warehousing space and vehicle parking.
- Moving to LIC has made it possible to serve new demands. The market is differenta and they were able to identify new opportunities.
- When they moved to LIC, one company said "You guys bring the urgency of a messenger service to the trucking business."
- The sense of urgency in their business is the thing that makes them different.
NY Minute has announced NEW nationwide coverage.
o 24/7 365 Day a Year
o Rush Messenger Service
o Local & Nationwide Trucking
o White Glove Service
o Commercial & Residential
o Distribution & Consolidation
o Real time, Online Order entry and Tracking
o On-site Services
Another NEW service offered: Email us a file. NY Minute will Print it and Deliver it the same day within the Tri State Area. Contact us for details. (718)389-3670
- Open 24 hours 7 days a week
- Customer Service that cares
- Reliable Team of over 150 trained Messengers and Drivers
- Online order entry and tracking
- Online order entry Help Manual
NY Minute Services and Benefits
- Messenger and Trucking (Rush On-Demand Ground Delivery)
- Immediate pick-up and delivery service dispatched to our qualified courier fleet as soon as your order is placed.
- Pre-Scheduled Delivery (All Methods of Delivery)
- Advance, regularly scheduled delivery service achieving superior On-Time Performance.
- On-Site Management Services/Dispatching
- A specified number of messengers, drivers or dispatchers dedicated and residing at the customers site, providing On-Demand Service.
- Computer Asset Recovery
- Specialized fleet trained in packing and removing computer equipment.
Brendan McNulty, President, NY Minute, Long Island City