The OurLIC CALENDAR
Please use the OurLIC Optin form to have your organization's events included in the OurLIC CALENDAR.
Reserve Holiday Parties Now! Catering, Corporate Events, Venues, & Parties
Find the perfect New Home:
Commercial Property Locator
Veteran Boxers Association of NY, Ring 8, Inc.
Click on picture above for details
Slide Show of photos
Full Description: Ring 8 Minutes and Notes
President Bob Duffy
Tuesday, October 20th, 2009
Ring 8 Minutes
Executive Board Meeting
The monthly executive board meeting of the Veteran Boxers Association of NY, Ring 8, Inc. was held on Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at O'Neill's Restaurant, Maspeth, New York.
Board members in attendance: President Matt Farrago, V.P. Henny Wallitsch, Lenny Mangiapane, Bob Duffy, Henry Hascup, Tony Mazzarella, Johnny Breitenbruck, Paulette Balog, Tommy Gallagher, Frank Pena, Jack Hirsch, Richie O'Neill, Tony Di Pippo.
Our next meeting will be at the Waterfront Crabhouse, Tuesday, November 17th, 2009, at 7:00pm. Board of Directors will meet at 6:00pm.
The following items were discussed:
1. R.I.P. boxers were acknowledged:
A. Roland LaStarza: LaStarza fought 66 professional bouts from July 7, 1947 to May 8, 1961. His career record was 57-9-0 (27). The most important fight of LaStarza's career was a world heavyweight championship bout, and a rematch against Marciano on September 24, 1953. La Starza fought Marciano on even terms for the first six rounds but began to tire afterwards. Referee Ruby Goldstein stopped the fight in the eleventh round TKO as Marciano battered La Starza relentlessly. This was La Starza's first fight (out of 53) when he was stopped.
B. Jerry Tomasetti: As a pro, Tomasetti posted a 13-6 record with nine knockouts from 1959 to 1968. He had memorable bouts against Dante Cane in 1967 and 1968 which drew an overflow crowd in Scranton . The scrappy heavyweight also battled Chuck Wepner four times, including twice at Madison Square Garden and another at the Felt Forum in New York. For his athletic achievement, he was enshrined in the Northeast Region Sports Hall of Fame, the Luzerne County Chapter of the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame and the New York State Boxing Hall of Fame.
2. Our special guest this evening was Leon Spinks: Leon represented the United States as a light heavyweight boxer in the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal and won the Gold medal. On February 15, 1978, in only his eighth professional fight, Spinks out pointed Muhammad Ali over 15 rounds to capture the world heavyweight title. Spinks lost the title back to Ali just seven months later.
3.Top priority was placed on our 2009 "Holiday and Awards Ceremony."
On Sunday, December 20, 2009, Ring 8 is celebrating its Annual Holiday Event and Awards Ceremony at Russo's on the Bay, 162-45 Crossbay Blvd, Howard Beach, NY 11414, 718-843-5055, 12:30pm - 5:30pm. Tickets are $125.00 per person.
Make checks payable to: Ring 8, Inc.
Mail checks and journal ads to: Matt Farrago, 30 Bowdon Rd, Greenlawn , NY 11740
* This event is expected to sell out quickly. Please send in your reservation checks as soon as possible.
4. Tickets are NOW on sale for the NY Metro Finals. Bob Duffy will be promoting the event on November 20th at the Plattdeutsch Park Restaurant,1132 Hempstead Tpke., Franklin Square, NY 11010-1535 .
Send me an email if you are interested in tickets for this event.
5. Our official Honorees will be:
Mark Breland : Ring 8 Community Service Award
Pete Brodsky : Ring 8 Contributions to Boxing Award
Tony DiPippo : Ring 8 Outstanding Service Award
Bill Gallo : Ring 8 Good Guy Award
Bob Goodman : Ring 8 Lifetime Achievement Award
Vinnie Maddalone: Ring 8 Uncrowned Champion Award
Dr. Michael Schwartz: Ring 8 Ringside Physician of the Year Award
Dr. Jerry Lynn : Ring 8 Humanitarian Award
6. Attached is the Invite to the 2009 Holiday Gala and information on advertising in the journal. Please help Ring 8 sell out the event and the journal.
7. Guests that will be in attendance at the 2009 Ceremony:
Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini, Larry Holmes, Gerry Cooney, Leon Spinks, Vito Antuofermo, Tommy Gallagher (The Contender), Emile Griffith, Burt Young (Rocky),
8. Our next meeting will be at the Waterfront Crabhouse on Tuesday, November 17th 2009, at 7:00pm. Board of Directors will meet at 6:00pm.
Mission Statement: Ring 9 Helps Boxers in need.
Insider Tips: All meetings are located at:
Waterfront Crab House
2-03 Borden Ave.
Long Island City
Telephone: (718) 729-4862
Neighborhood: Hunters Point
Address: 2-03 Borden Avenue
City: Long Island City
View a map of the area
Contact The Administrator of this Profile
Printer Friendly Version of This Page
Email This Listing to a Friend
Listed by: Administrative Manager
Info: The Administrative Manager
This listing has been viewed 8319 times.